Monday, October 1, 2012

Compound Word Headbands

Hi friends!  I hope you had a wonderful fall weekend :)  I was sick.  I knew last Tuesday that I was coming down with something... Friday I made it to my doctor, who gave me some antibiodics for my sinus infection and a much stronger cough syrup for the constant cough that had come on so quickly too...  But, we had a great weekend filled with picking pumpkins and getting lost in a maze for HOURS!!!!  :)

I want to share with you another little activity I did with my firsties last week.  (We were spending the past 3 weeks with "If You Give A..." books and this was one activity out of the packet.)  CLICK {HERE} TO SEE MY PACKET!!! 

After having the kiddos write their name on a sentence strip and a number 1 or 2, I stapled it as a headband and gave them a word.  {IMPORTANT!  The first word of the compound word got stapled onto a 1 and the second got stapled onto a 2----you can thank me later for that tip!}  ;)

Students got clipboards and a worksheet that I typed up with their names on---and they had to write the word that the student had as well as draw a line to its match {butter and fly would have been a match}




I cannot believe how well this worked out in my classroom!  Now, I wanted to share it with you, but can't share the graphics.  I deleted the graphics so that you can use it if you'd like.  The activity went with If You Give A Pig A Party, hence the party hats on the word cards in the picture!    PLEASE NOTE: I have this as an editable file so that you can type in student names on the worksheet as well as change the compound word pairs, if you so choose.  You will need powerpoint to edit.  The font I used was HelloChalkTalk from Hello Literacy blog.  The font for the worksheet is HelloAli.  Click {HERE} or on the picture below to grab yourself a copy.  If you'd like to see what else we did, keep reading!  =)



This year I am going sans teacher manual.  It was difficult to let go of what we had "thought" we had to follow religiously for years-and actually create my own literacy lessons that I had once done, many... many... years ago.  Lots of work-but LOTS of fun!  Thank you CCSSs!!!

Here's some pictures of our few weeks of If You Give A.... books!


 Decorating our "donuts" with sprinkles

creating short o words with our "donuts"  {and yes, they had 12---a dozen!}

Matching compound word partners from If You Give A Cat A Cupcake



Noun sorting----Scavenger Hunt style.  Each card had 3 words where students had to sort whether it's a person, place or thing


If You Give A Cat A Cupcake Math!
(part-part-whole style!)

We are still working on our very own circle stories.  Here's a small peek of the entire unit:



We had a fabulous time learning with the books, but this teacher is EXHAUSTED now!  This week we are going "low key" with pumpkin books, however I do have a cute little math activity that I will be sharing with you soon!!!   I hope you have a great week! 

2 comments :

  1. Love all of your word work ideas!!! Looks fun! :)

    And, glad you are feeling better...It's no fun having a sinus infection!

    Marie
    The Hands-On Teacher in First!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea! Can't wait to use it. -Jill

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...