Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Animal Fact or Fiction

Telling the difference between fact and opinion is the first step towards persuasive writing.  As first grade teachers, we need to expose students to this so that they are easily able to understand what is fact and what is opinion.  It gets a little hairy when we say something like "I think apples are yummy."  Well, it is fact that I like them, right?!?!?!  Soooo.... we talk about this all year.  I admit, there are times where I just don't know what to say, cause maybe it is a fact?!?! 

I created a worksheet for students to cut and paste statements that are fact or opinion that they will glue into the correct space.  I tried to tie in key words like, "think" and other feeling words that give away that it's an opinion. 

Writing is my other passion, besides Math :)  I was trained to be a trainer for the Step Up To Writing program, which is fabulous, by the way!  I feel like I need retrained now, since our standards have changed yet again and have students writing in all genres again.  The color coding that the program uses is just perfect for writing.  I'm not quite sure what I'm able to share that I've made from the program because it is so specific to the program....  Once I can think more about it this summer, I'll try to have some fab writing tips too!

By the way---wanna know how I spent today?!  I was redoing our Math curriculum AGAIN!  (we just did it over the summer to match the Common Core Standards---but we just found out the company we had been using for our math program has a SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER workbook/program, so we're switching to it!  And I have to say this program is FAB.U.LOUS!)  If your district is in the market for a new program-----MY MATH is PERFECT for first grade!  I'm so excited to use it, even though it means a LOT more change next year, again!

Click on the picture below to grab a copy of the Fact Opinion page!  And, I have some pretty exciting news that I'll be announcing TOMORROW!  If you aren't following my page, make sure to follow so you don't miss out on this pretty EXCITING news!!!!!!!!!!





4 comments :

  1. Fact...I love your freebie! Thanks for sharing!

    Lori (luvyorkies@gmail.com)
    Teaching With Love and Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your fact and opinion freebie!!!! Cute and funny:) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much. I was at a total loss of how to reteach this skill. My students are still struggling with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...